Hypocras is an ancient sweet beverage made from wine and spices.
It was famous in the Europe thru middle age and had been used as a drink as well as a medecine.
You can find out many different recipes. Most of them are based on a maceration so they can not last more than few days.
That’s why I decided to create a crême (sweeter than a liqueur) to keep it longer.
It took me few trials to fix my own recipe. Note that I use crap red wine, the reason is that I had pretty bad result with quality wine.
I hope you will enjoy
Crême d’Hypocras (1L) :
- 25oz. Crap Red Wine (赤ワイン)
- 13 Ceylan Cinchona Bark (シナモン)
- 600g Sugar (砂糖)
- 30 Cloves (クローブ)
- 20 Cardamom Pods (カルダモン)
- Large Pinch of Iranian Safran (サフラン)
- 150g Chopped fresh Ginger (生薑)
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan, Boil and simmer for 15min.
- Cool down and fine strain into a bottle.
Hypocras Rouge (1L) :
- 25oz. Crap Red Wine
- 5oz. Crême d’Hypocras
- Pour the crême d’hypocras into a decanter.
- Add the red wine
- Stir, shake and let it rest for a night (at least 2 hours)